Open PhD Fellowships at the DTIC, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
within the INPhINIT “la Caixa” Marie Curie Fellowships Programme.
The DTIC as a “Maria de Maeztu Centre of Excellence” is a hosting institution within the INPhINIT “la Caixa” Fellowships Programme. One of the proposed topics for the fellowships is:
The learning design field has produced computer tools to assist teachers in the creation of pedagogically-sound learning environments, for instance by providing patterns of good educational practices or by supporting sharing and co-creation within teaching communities. This project will advance the state of the art in this domain by researching how data can play a key role in a new generation of tools for evidence-based learning design. During recent years, analytics and data mining techniques have been used to extract actionable information from large data quantities in a variety of scientific fields. The areas of learning analytics and educational data science have emerged to explore how this data can be used to increase the understanding and quality of learning experiences. The learning analytics field has undergone a fast expansion and the use of data is now being considered for assisting in aspects such as students’ retention. Recent reflections of the use of data in learning environments shows an increasingly complex landscape influenced by multiple disciplines and fields, including learning design. Connecting learning analytics and learning design amounts to assuming the existence of comprehensive data capturing and analysis mechanisms at various levels to inform and influence the learning experience, the design process, and the community of authors that create these designs.
This research project will be supervised by Dr. Hernández-Leo, a permanent faculty member in the Group of Interactive Technologies (GTI) at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. The GTI , focuses on human aspects and technology and has a lab focused on technologies for education. The educational technologies lab, led by Dr. Hernández-Leo, has currently ten members and their research lies at the intersection of network and computer applications, human-computer interaction and learning sciences. They have extensive experience in learning design technologies (e.g., Collage, LdShake, ILDE) and are currently involved in learning analytics projects.
The PhD position is offered to a highly motivated researcher, to join our team in interdisciplinary learning technologies research. The successful candidate should have an excellent undergraduate and master academic record. Candidates should have a strong desire to see their technological work applied in solving impactful problems in the context of education. The successful candidate should also have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Evidence of good programming and data analysis skills as well as excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are desirable. Please contact Davinia Hernández-Leo at email@example.com for any question or further information needed.
- 3-year contract
- €34,800 gross annual salary + €3,564 annual additional funding
- Award of €7,500 for the PhD fellow in case he/she presented the thesis within a period of 3.5 years
- Additional training in transversal skills: technology transfer, entrepreneurship, professional development.
- Research stays in academia and industry.
- Participation in networking and outreach activities.
- Deadline for incorporation of candidates: September/October 2017..
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Short stays such as holidays will not be taken into account.
- Have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
PhD program admission
- Accredited undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent degree from an accredited Higher Education Institution).
- Accredited graduate/master’s degree (equivalent to a Spanish Master Universitario/Oficial, Master’s of Research…. ) which enables them to access a Phd programme in their home country.
- Total of 300 ECTS credits, 60 of those have to correspond to an official graduate, research oriented, master’s programme.
- Academic records and CV (50%).
- Motivation and goals declaration (30%): originality, innovation, impact and link with the selected Research Centre.
- Recommendation letters (20%).
- Potential (40%), motivation and impact (20%), CV (30%).
- Website open for applications: November 7th, 2016.
- Application deadline: February 2nd, 2017.
How to apply
Applications are managed through the program website, More information about the procedure: www.inphinitlacaixa.org
For additional information on the PhD program: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information on the topic: email@example.com
About UPF DTIC
The UPF DTIC PhD program offers advanced training in a broad range of topics in the field of Information and Communication Technologies.
This is an innovative program, unique in Catalonia and Spain in terms of its content, which aims to provide a bridge between various disciplines in this field. The DTIC PhD program has been growing steadily and currently hosts about 130 PhD students and 40 faculty and tenure-track professors who can supervise a PhD thesis. The program received a Mention of Excellence award from the Ministry of Science and Innovation in 2011.
The DTIC department consistently ranks among the top computer science departments in Spain (e.g. the only computer science department from an Spanish university that has even been included in the top 100 of the Shanghai Ranking). The DTIC’s research activities are organized around 15 groups pursuing a wide range of topics that include networking, wireless communications, multimedia, image and music processing, medical imaging, interactive technologies, learning technologies, artificial intelligence, data mining, and computational neuroscience, among others.
The UPF university was awarded in 2010 the distinction of International Excellence Campus by the Spanish Ministry of Education and it is widely considered to be one of the best universities in Spain (e.g. is the top Spanish university according to 2013 Times Higher Education Ranking).
The UPF is located in Barcelona. Its excellent location on the shores of the Mediterranean, its gentle climate, its open, cosmopolitan character, its gastronomy and architecture make Barcelona an extraordinary place to live. The DTIC is sited in UPF’s Communication Campus, which was opened in 2009 and is located within the vibrant 22@ technological district of Barcelona.